Who qualifies for a student visa?

To be eligible for a student visa, you must:

  • Be a bona fide student or qualify as an exchange visitor for J-1 purposes.
  • Demonstrate non-immigrant intent.
  • Prove financial requirements and appropriate program acceptance (F-1 and M-1 students must be accepted in a program approved through the Department of Homeland Security, Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). J-1 students must be accepted in a program that has been approved by the Department of State.
  • Apply for an appropriate visa if abroad or change to the appropriate status in the United States. Specific requirements differ for each visa category.

How we can help

The attorneys at Kayi & Wilkes will take care of the entire visa process from start to finish. We will help you determine which category is most appropriate for you; advise as to requirements for maintenance, change, and extension of student status; and make recommendations about employment and post-degree strategies, including Curricular and Optional Practical Training (CPT and OPT).

Let our attorneys help secure your safety, your family, and your future. Contact us for a consultation.